Onyx Celebrates Bike to Work Day
Not only is it National Bike Month, it’s also National Bike to Work Week. If you haven’t had a chance to take a spin around town on one of our community cruisers yet, there’s no better time than the present (unless you count all those summer days still to come).
If the weather holds up, this Friday is officially Bike to Work Day—an event that draws hundreds of thousands of participants annually. The day has only grown in popularity with each passing year, so expect to see an atypical number of two-wheelers out there as you make your morning commute. Sunshine and distance permitting, consider joining the masses and cutting your day’s carbon footprint.
Even better, make Friday a double-dip of National Day ofs … it’s also National Pizza Party Day! Yup, as luck would have it, the two perfectly coincide to create an extra deluxe, ultra-supreme opportunity for you and the gang. When the work day is through, saddle up and head on out as a two-wheeling party for a Friday night slice. You’ll catch pizza-day specials at all the regular hotspots, but there’s never harm in trying something new, and there are some slices out there you won’t soon forget:
- Giordano’s – Handmade, stuffed Chicago deep dish. Cheese for days. (.4 miles from home)
- Pizzeria Lola – Artisan pies recently featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. (1.5 miles from home)
- Pizza Lucé – Favorites include their signature baked potato pizza, plus a range of local craft brews. (2.1 miles from home)
Enticed by Edina
Area Events & Happenings
The stride toward summer is picking up pace, and we’ve got Taste-ofs, Art Fairs, and Festivals bursting all over. This weekend, the Northeast Minneapolis Art Association (NEMAA) hosts their 22nd annual Art-A-Whirl where the neighborhood opens its doors for three days of demos, special exhibits, and fun. If you haven’t visited the city’s artsiest hub, the online directory offers a peek at the range of artisans and crafts just waiting to be discovered. You’ll find a printable map there, too—helpful to keep you on the right path.
Properly armed, plan one or multiple days exploring the many participating shops, studios, breweries, and businesses. Some will provide live demonstrations, others will feature tours, workshops, specials, and more. All in all, it’s a great opportunity for full immersion into one of the city’s most eclectic neighborhoods.
An artistic eye all our own, it’s just a couple weeks before Edina hosts its 51st Annual Art Fair. Until then, it’s easy to find other area playful options for fueling the artist in you:
- Art for The Garden – Daily, through June 7 at Edina Art Center’s Margaret Foss Gallery
- Wine & Canvas Wednesday – 7:00-9:00 PM, Wednesday, May 17 at Braemar Golf Course
- Steve Martin & Martin Short – Thursday & Friday performances, May 18-19 at Orpheum Theater
- Joan Jett & the Blackhearts – 8:00 PM, Saturday, May 20 at Mystic Lake Casino Hotel
I thought yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life but it turns out today is.